Hanse Spirit, Diageo

Inventory for January 28th, 2018

Welcome friends! This week the big news is that Bacardi bought the remaining 75% of Patron Tequila it didn’t own already.Also a completely solar-powered brewery opened in Australia, the Spanish Zamora Company expanded its portfolio by purchasing a major stake in Martin Miller’s Gin, and a London pub bans swearing. Cheers!
Always wondered what booze you should be drinking but couldn’t figure it out? Well, Spoon University has got you covered. Choose your booze according to your zodiac sign – it’s that easy! For example, people born under Aquarius should be drinking Peppermint Schnapps because “Aquarians need a drink as unique as they are, ideally the most eccentric liquor you can get your hands on.” Find the complete list here.

Bacardi Buys Patron Tequlia

Bacardi has held about 25% of Patrón Spirits International AG for nearly a decade and last week it sealed the deal on the rest, buying Patrón in a $5.1 billion deal. This is bigger than the Diageo / Casamigos deal by $4.1bn, The Drinks Business reports. “The deal will make Bacardi the number one spirits player in the super-premium segment in the US and the second largest spirits company in market share by value in America.”

Fully Solar-powered Brewery Opens in Australia

Three environmental engineers have combined their expertise with their love of craft beer to build Helios Brewing Company, a completely solar-powered brewery in Brisbane, Australia. Powered by 59 solar panels and a 15-kilowatt inverter, around 60% of the brewery’s energy is used in-house while the other 40% is fed to the city’s power grid. Do-gooders! Broadsheet reports: “The sustainability doesn’t stop there. The brewery uses local businesses wherever possible: Yeerongpilly contractors assisted in the fit-out and the malt comes from a Capalaba supplier, rather than being imported from overseas. In keeping with the name of the brewery (Helios is the Greek god of the sun) all the beers are named after deities. Head brewer Charlie Hodgson works closely with the owners to produce six core brews, including the Poseidon Pale Ale and Hades’ Bitter Chocolate Stout, as well as two rotating beers.”

Zamora Company Purchases Major Stake in Martin Miller’s Gin

The spanish Zamora Company has moved into the gin category, buying Martin Miller’s for an undisclosed sum, The Spirits Business reports. Martin Miller’s Gin has been distilled in England since 1999, it’s then shipped to Iceland where it is mixed with Icelandic spring water. “The gin joins the Spanish producer’s drinks portfolio, which includes Licor 43, Villa Massa limoncello, El Afilador liqueurs and sangria brand Lolea.” Co-founders David Bromige and Andreas Versteegh, and CEO Jacob Ehrenkrona will keep a hold on the remaining 45% stake of the brand and Ehrenkrona and Bromige will continue in their roles as CEO and creative director. Sales for MMG have been strong in Spanish, Central European, and UK markets. Ehrenkrona says “Sales have been particularly strong in the UK where they grew 50% in 2017, adding to a total global volume of 100,000 cases. Specifically in the key US market, key for the development of the brand, we will continue with the current importer. However, in this partnership with Zamora Compa
ny, we will be able to considerably increase investment in brand building in the middle term. What is more, together we can break into new international markets by capitalising on the sales capacity of Zamora Company without compromising the product’s identity or its genuine spirit.”

The Pub that Banned Swearing

London pub The Cock recently banned swearing. Last year, the pub, which is part of the Samuel Smith chain of pubs, put up signs in its establishment declaring “We wish to inform all of our customers that we have introduced a zero tolerance policy against swearing in all of our pubs. Please kindly respect this policy.” In defense of the decision, one barmaid stated “You can do whatever you want in the woodwork—it’s more like coming out and being really aggressive. We haven’t had any problem.”


Foto: Photo via Shutterstock

Post a Comment